We’ve all been there, right? This Hallmark holiday is either a hit or miss, and sometimes it’s best to leave the expectations at the door. Personally, I have always loved Valentine’s Day – or rather, I have always loved the idea of Valentine’s Day. I suppose I just love an excuse to celebrate things - (especially love!), and I always get giddy about swapping gifts, planning a daytime outing and splurging on yummy eats.
I have to admit that I think a lot of men look at February 14th as a day of immense pressure. Pressure to pick the right restaurant, the right gifts, flowers, and romantic gestures - and sometimes, this can lead to some pretty funny 'Valentine's Day Fails' stories.
One Valentine’s date that went oh-so-wrong was my very first Valentine’s spent with my current boyfriend of now 3 years. He planned the sweetest outing to the beach – with a beach tent, bottle of wine, cheese, crackers and salami. It was adorable. That is, until it became VERY windy. He set up the tent, filled our glasses of wine and created a spread until a gust of wind took it all the way down the coastline! While he was chasing down his set up, sweating and felt so dejected from his surprises ending up in the sand, I personally found it HILARIOUS. Not everything goes perfectly, but it certainly turned into quite the story! He then attempted to make up for the sandy salami and red-wine stained tent with a box of chocolate covered pralines, with little-to-his-knowledge that I absolutely despised pralines – the poor guy couldn’t catch a break! The good news is, we've had a few more Valentine's dates since then that didn't get swept away :)
So, if your Valentine’s Day ends up sounding anything like this – here are a few of my hacks to turn this day into something extra sweet no matter what!
Six Valentine’s Day ‘Saves’ to Sweeten the Day
- First off, ditch the pralines and bake a cake AT HOME. Put on your coziest clothes, your favorite tunes, and work together on something special that you two can enjoy afterward. This Valentine’s Cake is easy, full of color and has no shortage of sweet flavor. Plus, it tastes even better when it’s made with love!
- IF your day is going south, head home from your date and mix up this Apple Bourbon & Blackberry Sour – it’s fresh, delicious and can turn the worst of days right around!
- Is your favorite restaurant all booked up? OR did prices sky rocket for the evening? Head somewhere less crowded, crank the heater and get cozy. You can park your car at a scenic overlook and open up your Tupperware with freshly baked Chocolate Dipped French Coconut Strawberry Macaroons to share.
- You can just cut to the chase and start the day off sweet from the very beginning with these Blackberry Crepes with Whipped Cream and Candied Pecans. Breakfast in bed is always a good idea!
- Treating yourselves to a 5-star dinner doesn’t have to come from the fancy restaurant down the street. This Blueberry & Rosemary Honey Glazed Grilled Pork Tenderloin only takes an hour to make, serves two, and will not disappoint the taste buds.
- Prepare your very own charcuterie board to snack on before the Uber arrives. The best way to prep for a night out is to start it off with some fun bites like this Blueberry Spiced Jam, an array of cheeses, nuts, crackers, and the bottle of wine you’ve been saving for a special occasion.
So, who’s ready for Valentine’s Day? And don’t worry, if turns into a disaster, we’ve got you covered! I want to know your 'Valentine’s Day Fails' stories - leave a message below and share your funniest or most memorable experiences from this holiday!